Clonakilty Blackpudding and shallot Tatin
Serves: 4 • Prep Time: • Cook Time:
If you want to put an Irish twist on the French classic Tarte Tatin, try adding some Clonakilty Blackpudding and shallots to make it savoury. You could also try making mini individual tarts, they make a fantastic party treat and will help you celebrate any occasion.
120g of caster sugar
1 tsp of butter
280g Clonakilty Blackpudding
1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
1. In a frying pan with a heat proof handle, sprinkle in the sugar and the teaspoon of butter.
2. Place onto a hob for 2 to 3 minutes on a high heat until a dark caramel is formed. Take off the heat once caramel is formed.
3. Slice the shallots in half and peel them.
4. Slice the Blackpudding into approx. 1cm thick slices.
5. Place down the Blackpudding around the outside of the pan and place down the shallots in the middle of the pan to form the shape of a flower.
6. Cut around the puff pastry and lay it on top of the pan. Tuck it in and around with a spoon or fork.
7. Pierce the top of the pastry with a knife in the middle to allow steam to escape.
8. Bake at 200°c for 15 minutes until the pastry is crispy and the shallots have softened.
9. When tipping out, be careful you don’t tip it towards yourself, and make sure the plate fits right over the pan.
10. Take your time while flipping it also. When you have it flipped, remove the pan, slice and tuck in.