Clonakilty Blackpudding, Apple and Fennel Heart Shaped Pie
Serves: Makes 2 medium sized pies • Prep Time: • Cook Time: 30 mins
Treat your loved one on Valentine’s Day to the ultimate Clonakilty Blackpudding heart shaped pie with apple and fennel. Serve with a glass of champagne and your Valentine will definitely feel the love with this one!
250g Clonakilty Blackpudding
2 apples (chopped into small pieces)
100g fennel (diced)
1 garlic clove (chopped)
1 brown onion (chopped)
1tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp chopped leaf parsley
2 packs of shortcrust pastry blocks
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp flour
Splash of white wine (optional)
- Gently sauté the onion, garlic, fennel and apple with the butter until they are tender.
- Chop the Clonakilty Blackpudding into small pieces and add to the pan along with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a tablespoon of flour to thicken the mixture and pour in the white wine (if using), cream and lemon zest. Bring it to a gentle boil whilst stirring continuously. Simmer for 5 – 6 minutes until the liquid has reduced and thickened, then set aside for approx. 30 minutes.
- Add the parsley and more salt and pepper if required.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Roll out pastry block (follow instructions on the packaging) and cut out 4 x heart shapes.
- Spread filling over pastry leaving a good sized border all round.
- Brush border with a beaten egg and place a second layer of the pastry on top.
- Pinch the edges of the pastry layers together to seal and brush all over with beaten egg.
- Cut a small heart shaped hole in the centre of the top layer of pastry, place on baking sheet and bake for approx. 18 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve immediately!
Recipe courtesy of Jelena Fairweather