Clonakilty Blackpudding Tarts
Serves: Makes 10 • Prep Time: • Cook Time: 15 mins
These delicious crispy filo tartlets are a great make-ahead starter for Sunday lunch or as finger food for family and friends at any event!
100g Clonakilty Blackpudding
20 sheets of Filo pastry (15×12.5cm each)
30g red onion, diced
40g Feta cheese
4 Free-range Eggs
100g frozen spinach, thawed and excess juice squeezed out
5 cherry tomatoes halved
Sea Salt & Freshly ground black pepper
Oil for frying
1. Whisk three of the eggs in a large mixing bowl, add the red onion, spinach. Then crumble in the black pudding and feta into the mixture and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
2. Pre heat the oven to 180˚C /160˚C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
3. Grease a cupcake tin very well.
4. Whisk the final egg, and set aside
5. Lay out the filo pastry sheets two at a time, on top of each other, in the shape of a star.
6. Push the filo star shapes into the hollows of the cupcake tin, ensuring that they are even and flat to the surface. Then brush with the whisked egg.
7. Add two heaped teaspoons of the filling to each cup, adding a cherry tomato half on top.
8. Cook for 15 minutes until the cups are golden and the filling is cooked (it should be springy to touch and have no liquid visible).
9. Allow them to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and serve.
10. Serving suggestion: Add a dollop of tomato relish or chutney
Recipe by Jennifer Opperman